Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Survived!

I survived my dad's wedding.

I wasn't sure I would make it through the morning. I got up in more than plenty of time, but I just couldn't stop crying. Once I finally got it all together, I went as planned to take flowers from my backyard to put on my mom's grave on the way out of town. Then the tears started again, and I was mad because I already had my makeup all done!

I almost got it together by the time I picked up the girls, and Rachel brought me a whole role of toilet paper to help me with the runny nose and watery eyes. They were bloodshot at midway, but good to go by the time I got to St. Joe.

The wedding was outside on the porch of a bed and breakfast. Dad and Martha both looked very nice...really everyone looked nice. They started the ceremony by remembering those who have gone before. Dad took a bright pink rose and said...in memory of Ann Heflin...and then put it in a big vase, and so my tears were starting again. The rest of the roses were off-white, Martha took one and said the same for her sister Marcy. Then dad did one in memory of Brian, and I lost it. I probably looked like I was at a funeral. I wanted to shout out, I have been crying all day! It is kind of like when you have the flu, that once you have thrown up already 3 or 4 times that day, it happens so easily! Bad comparison, but you get my point. Then Martha and Dad switched off, also honoring my dad's parents, my mom's parents who just loved my dad, Martha's parents and grandparents. I didn't expect my mom to be mentioned at my dad's wedding, and I guess it does say a lot about how Martha has accepted that my mom was a great love of my dad's life.

The reception was really nice, and Dad was right, the food was delicious. They had a nice spread, and it was good to have a variety that the kids also liked. We had a funny moment during the reception when Martha told Tori that Devin was her new cousin. (Devin is Martha's only child, and now my younger stepbrother). Everyone was like, huh? And then there was a discussion, and someone said...he's her uncle! He seemed pretty surprised to realize he was an uncle now. Then Tori said...so when he has kids they will be my cousins...and Devin was SUPER surprised! I reminded him that there are 8 of them, and Karis said she would make him a list of uncle duties. It was a good laugh, and it was nice to just enjoy the moment.