Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A Few Laughs

On the way to Bethany to pick up Tye and go out for dinner with Phillip and Denise...

Amberlea: Camero's? What is Camero's?

Me: It's like a steak house.

Amberlea: Ooo, steak! I love ribs, pork and steak. I'm a ribs, pork and steak alcoholic!

Now that was just plain funny! I said, you mean you are a steak-aholic. Oh, that's what she meant!

I had the chance this weekend to spend time with Rachel and Amberlea, just us girls. We watched My Girl. The girls had never seen it. Despite the fact that before I ever saw it back in high school, my little sister told me that the boy dies, so the whole thing was ruined...I still cry every.single.time! The worst part is when Veda runs into the casket and is telling people that Thomas J. is missing his glasses. We got a good cry and talked about how difficult it would be to lose a friend.

I forgot one of the funniest lines of the movie, when Veda realizes she has started her period. Shelly and Veda go upstairs and have a "talk", and Veda says...my mom and dad did that?! But the line that had us laughing our heads off...Thomas J. comes to the door and asks if she wants to go swimming. She shoves him and says...NO! And don't come back for 5-7 days! Amberlea didn't get it, but it seemed to slip by her ok for now!

We are off and running in yet another busy week. Throw youth group in there, and we've got a duke's mixture of activities that keep us hopping! And the homework, oh my! Rachel has really had to adjust to the homework load, and I am thankful that she had already developed good study habits.

Tye's teacher stopped me today to let me know that he had a great day! Again, I am thankful, and I appreciate her helping him work on things. I know that a few good days (we're up to about 5 decent days in a row) doesn't mean we don't have things to work on, but I certainly don't feel as frustrated as I did during the first week of school.

Tonight at dinner, I asked the kids how their day went. Before anyone could answer, Tye said...no, we are going to do it this way.

Tye: You need to say to me...Hey, Tye, what do you say, what did you do in puters (computers) today?

The girls and I repeated, and he told us he typed. Then he preceded to sing the same things to the girls...Hey, Amberlea, what do you say...and then on to Rachel. He had to think of something else because Rachel didn't have "puters" today! It was fun and the girls got a good laugh.

Tye is big into homework. Hearing Rachel talk about hers, he thinks he's got to get all his done. He made a list of words that rhyme with cat. I would just say bat, and he would sound it out and write it. He got cat, bat, sat, rat, pat, mat and hat. I was pretty impressed. Amberlea was trying to help him and said black...what? I said...black doesn't rhyme with cat. She just giggled and said, oh! Then he did dog and log, then tree and bee. He was entirely too busy to do much of anything besides all that homework tonight! I'm so happy to see him interested in academics, instead of just farting and burping and playing on the playground!