Friday, August 28, 2009

Deeply Saddened by the News

This week I was deeply saddened to hear of a young St. Joe boy who took his own life. I have spent many moments this week in prayer for him, his family, friends, teachers, and for all who find themselves in a situation that seems so bleak. This child was only 14 days younger than my Rachel (12 1/2). He looks like he could be anybody's child, and I know he is loved and missed my many. My heart aches in knowing this pain will last forever.

I think one thing that has changed drastically about me is my empathy. I mean I always cried at movies, felt sad for others, and thought about how I would feel in other situations. But being in the midst of my own tragedies, my own trials and my own grief, I find I empathize with so many about any type of loss. And having a child the same age just hits home. While we can never know what truly led him to this, I pray that he might have peace, and that his family may be surrounded by the love of others to bring them through these difficult days.