Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Smokin Hot Kidz

My eldest is a great big sister.  I mean she has her moments, but is truly amazing with all the little ones in her life (one younger brother and three younger sisters).  She loves to babysit, and did so for me on Friday night when I went for dinner and movie with a group of friends.  Rachel had Kristen over, and Amberlea had Maddie, and they had a blast.  Tye was right in the middle of things, and ended up with some lipstick and kisses, but hey, what boy doesn't like that!?  The girls all commented on how much fun they had (the older girls did the younger girls' hair and makeup, and they were rock stars) and when I came home, A) the house was not destroyed; B) everyone was giggling; and C) I am pretty sure the neighbors didn't call the cops.

So all is good.

Then last night, I had to be gone for a little while, as the faculty and staff at my school had volunteered to cook for the Manna Kitchen.  I ran the girls home around 3:15, ran my potatoes back to the church at 4, picked up Tye and ran home for a little bit, then back to the church by 4:45 to help serve from 5-6, cleanup and home by about 6:20.  I even made extra potatoes so Rachel could have them (one of her favorites) and had everything set for them to have something for supper.  The girls both had a lot of homework, so that kept them busy.

When I came in around 6:20, they were just fixing supper.  Rachel had opened a can of cream corn instead of regular, and didn't know what to do with it.  Besides that, the homemade meatloaf muffins were being warmed up and almost everyone was hungry.

Tye: I'm not hungry.

Me: Why not?

Tye: Cuz I just ate a poptart.

Me: (glaring at Rachel) Tye! You shouldn't be eating a poptart right when it is suppertime!

Tye: I ate 4 of them.

Now I am gasping, and Rachel looked like she had been shot!  I mumbled something about doing such a great job of babysitting, and she was at least glad to almost be done with her homework.

Sigh.

Tonight I was home with the girls for a while.  I joined the community center, so I wanted to go workout, and Rachel again said it was no problem because they had homework to do.   I didn't plan to be gone long, but I did need to return some books to the libary and get another one.  So I ran there first. When I came out, I sent her a text that she needs to finish the last book she has out from the library because it is overdue.  Here is the rest of the texting...

Rachel: I know.

Me: The library cops r gonna get u! (maybe not, but I am making her pay the fine because she's had it long enough to be considered lost)

Rachel:  Whatever! Amberlea just like made smoke.

I started to text back and then thought...hmm.  That just doesn't sound good.

I called home and found out that Amberlea had fixed herself some Easy Mac. And burned it. To a crisp.  Amberlea came down and told Rachel she thought she burned her mac and cheese, and could she come up and look.  Rachel said smoke was billowing out of the microwave.  She told me she had it under control now.  I thought maybe the microwave was acting up, but she said that she turned around and made another batch right after that, and everything was fine.  It appears the before mentioned middle child did not put enough water in the Easy Mac and then cooked it.  Rachel said she took it out at 2 minutes and it was black.

When I got home, I could smell the smoke in the garage.  The house was worse. Way worse.  It just stinks.  I said I wanted to see the finished product, and Rachel said that she threw it out in the snow.  On the front step.  Why Lord, why?  So I checked and yep, there is a solid mass of barely recongnizable mac and cheese in a black clump in the snow on the front porch.  How big is my yard, and they throw it out the front door!

Me: Amberlea, you could have burned down the house!

Amberlea: Um, um...

Rachel: Aren't you so glad I am such a good babysitter?  I took care of everything.

Yes, thank God.