Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Near Miss

Tye has been so very good at school.  Not perfect.  But very good.  And a home and everywhere really.  The days leading up to Christmas were just as good as many other days we've had this fall.  And then it hit, about 8pm on Christmas Eve...

Jacob, Rosie and my dad came over and had pizza.  I had been wrapping presents all day, considering I hadn't started before that morning!  I was sitting upstairs chatting when Tye came up to get a drink.  I noticed right away.  A chunk out of the front of his hair.  A big chunk.  Actually a few big chunks down to the scalp.

Me: TYE! Did you cut your hair?

Tye: I accidentally did it!

Me: (pulling an Ann Heflin) If you need a haircut, tell me.

Tye: Mom, I need a haircut.

Me: Well, now you do!  I don't know if Santa will come. (I know, it was mean, but it was the first thing I thought of.)

Tye: (in hysterics) What!? (crying)

Me...thinking jeez, it is just hair, and does it cancel all the other great things he has improved on?

Me: Ok, so just go sit on your bed for now.

Later...

Tye: Can I get up?

Me: Not until your hair grows back (another Ann Heflin).

Tye: What!?

Me: You better start praying.

Silence.

Tye: Can I go to the bathroom?

Me: Yes.

A few seconds later...

Tye: (somewhat bewildered) Mom! My hair isn't growing.  I said some prayers!

So I decide to put him out of his misery and let him get up.  I left his hair like that for a few days and let his sisters and everyone else make comments about how bad it looked!  We finally trimmed it a little today because I didn't want to buzz it off completely in this weather, and I can get by with it for Christmas break!