Monday, April 27, 2009

Fritos and Tea from Mai Tye

My little boy is most definitely, without any doubt (as if there was any), unmistakeably and unequivocally Brian Halley's son. He can turn on the charm at a moments notice. He seems to be quite the ladies man lately, comforting the ladies in preschool and doing little sweet nothings for his Mama.

I've had a rough day today. I would say I don't know why, but I do. It is the same old excuse, and I know in my heart that it will never go away. The events of the past 10 days have seemingly caught up with me. I feel emotionally exhausted. I am way beyond ready for school to get over with for the year, mostly just for my own sanity. I've had my game face on for so long, and this year has been good. I'm just ready for a break. The busyness of the last month can make a teacher crazy, yet it helps the year move right along. At least I will most definitely feel productive!

So I felt stressed today, and often times stress sets off a bought of the weepies...or as Grandma Eickholt would say, a case of the whim whams. Sure enough, today was one of those days. Days like this are interesting lately, as my emotions wane from high to low. My afternoon was good, getting ready for our school pancake breakfast this Sunday...yet when I got in the van, I felt like crying. This almost makes me feel even more crazy, the inconsistency. At least I didn't feel crumby for the entire day.

Tye could see me crying. What is wrong with you? Are you sick? No, I replied, I just feel like crying.

Sigh...I'll take care of you Mom! Do you have a headache?

Yeah, I do (which was a lot of it).

Then the feeling seemed to pass, and the evening was going ok. Pretty soon, Tye showed up with a tray in hand. He had filled a fancy teacup with water and told me it was tea. Then he had a paper plate filled with chili cheese fritos. And he was just as proud as a peacock! He said, I hope this makes you feel better!

Now tonight, while I was on the phone with my dad, Tye wrote on Zep with a watercolor marker. He's got his own Tye tattoo. I would take a picture, but I don't want you all to judge me for animal abuse. No animals were hurt during this phone call, and Zep is as happy as a clam that he is inside playing with Tye. They have been working on "tricks" and things all evening, and then the blue apparently was yet another creative expression of the great Tye.

Speaking of which...tonight at Hy-Vee, there was a sign above the bakery that said "Mai Tye". He caught his name on the sign and just thought that was totally hilarious. He asked me what it said, and I replied...Mai Tye.

He laughed and said...what!? It says Jenni's Tye?

Now that is a laugh out loud moment.